Thursday, January 20

Everything is in Spanish

Hello to all my followers/blog readers! I am going to go ahead and apologize in advance for any spelling or grammatical errors. I am still half asleep from the 12 hours of flights yesterday and I have lots of questions to answer! Ok, my flights went fine. I didn't have long layovers and I met some other American students studying abroad on my flights. The only slightly interesting event was when we were about to take off from Madrid to Valencia on Iberian airlines. We were pulling out of the gate when the plane suddenly stopped due to electrical problems. So we had to jump on another plane, so no big deal. Then I met Kara at the airport in Valencia! We jumped in a cab and went to the apartment together. 

Ok, the apartment is great! Its about 2 blocks, maybe less, to the university. We share a cute little room and a bathroom. Our casa madre lives alone but has 2 grown children and 2 nietos, grandchildren. Cute love story: one of the girls that she hosted met, fell in love and married her son and they now live in Miami! But anyway, she is feeding us well. I mean, we are eating all the time! So much for not gaining weight. Last night she made us tortillas españolas which is potatoes, onions and eggs all fried together. The coffee here is super strong you pretty much just add a shot of it to a cup of coffee. 

We had orientation all day today where we met some other students and our professors and the staff. I am so excited because everyone is super nice and their philosophy in Spain is "no pasa nada" or don't worry about anything. So I am going to "carpe diem" and try it out! 

10 hours of sleep last night still wasn't enough so a siesta is in order for after lunch. The weather is beautiful in Valencia today so we are going to walk around and do more exploring. So all in all, I am having a great time and I miss everyone at home! Adios!

4 comments:

  1. Awww! That's so cool! It sounds like it has been a perfectamundo start to a mucho bueno 4 months. :-) Yay! I'm loving hearing about the food. My weakness, you know. I want to hear everything that you eat! Oh, and I can't wait to see photos of what everything looks like. I'm just imagining it to be this magical land. :-) So different and exciting! I hope you have a great siesta!
    Love,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY GAL! We are soooo excited for you and as you already know, we have questions, questions and more questions! Lori, at my office tried to post a comment this afternoon, but she said it doesn't look like it went through. I'll have to get her to try again tomorrow. I also want to know what address to use to send you cards/pkgs, etc. We hope every day is better than the one before and adios to you! Love you, Moms and Pops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Pops says that "Spanish coffee" must not have changed in the 50 years since he was there! He said you put only a "smidgen" of coffee in the cup, then fill the rest of the way with cream/milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I meant to say that you add a shot of espresso to a cup of milk! So it is the same since his days in Sevilla!

    ReplyDelete