Sunday, January 23

Mi vida en Valencia

 First few days in Spain=Fabulous success! We have walked all around the city many times and are just starting to settle in. Let's see, on Friday, we explored the Turia River and walked down to the the Center of Arts and Sciences. These are the buildings that you always see in the brochures. There is an aquarium, an imax/planetarium, music hall and science museum.


The Turia River is a dried river bed that they have converted into green space. Apparently there was a great flood in 1957 and they decided to drain and reroute the water so that the city wasn't at risk anymore. The River has become our favorite area too because it is a huge park that runs right in the middle of the city. Almost like Central Park in NYC.

Then we went on a walking tour of historic Valencia with the staff members of the program. We got to see the city's main cathedral and many other older buildings around the city. My favorite was seeing the bullfight arena. Then we came back to the house and ate dinner (pizza with bacon) and then went out to a fiesta with the program at Corona 15. Kara and I have become great navigators, well rather I have. She just says, "toda mi fe está en ti," all my faith is in you. Valencia is annoying to get around because it wasn't built with a grid system. There are roundabouts and small alleyway-roads everywhere. Anyway, the night scene in Spain is very different. The bars get crowded around 12:30 or 1 and then around 3:30 everyone goes to a discoteco. We have yet to venture to one of those yet, so don't worry. And I promise we are being careful- always staying in groups.

Yesterday, we met up with some friends and walked back to the cathedral to see processions because it was a religious holiday. It was the Día de San Vicente Mártir, the patron saint of the city. The weather was beautiful as always and we saw a little parade with a band. Then we had our first cup of helado, ice cream, which tastes just like Italian ice cream. Yum!

Valencia's soccer team had a big game last night so we all went out to a bar to watch it. They played Málaga and beat them 4-3! Go Valencia! We are trying to figure out how to get tickets for the next game, against Barcelona, who is apparently the best team in Spain right now.

I am getting used to the siesta tradition. It is so easy to take a 2 hour nap after eating a big meal. Also, they don't have heaters in their apartments and only use space heaters so the only way to get warm is to get in bed.  I am starting to miss the little things in the United States...my shower, the coffee, my bed, carrots and other things. But don't get me wrong, I am soaking up all that Spain has to offer and I am loving it! Their culture is very easy to get addicted to.

Classes start tomorrow morning so tonight has just been a relaxing evening. It feels weird going to classes because I feel like I am on a grand vacation. I'm excited about my courses though- Phonetics, Translation, Spanish Art History, Composition, and Texts and Interpretations. I'll let you know how they go!

7 comments:

  1. Love hearning about your past couple of days. I also really love the pictures! You will have to post a picture of your house mom, the house and your room too. Valencia looks like a lovely place. So, do they not have showers? Or you just can't take one a day? Good luck with class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shower is just a bathtub with a shower head, kinda like in France. I'm spoiled with the Rain shower head that you guys got before I left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY, KATIE! HOW WONDERFUL TO SEE UPDATED INFO ON YOUR ACTIVITIES! WE ARE ABSOLUTLEY LOVING IT AND FEEL LIKE WE ARE INJOYING SPAIN THROUGH YOUR EYES! WE ARE SO HAPPY THAT YOU AND KARA ARE A "GOOD FIT" TOO.

    WE HOPE YOUR CLASSES GO VERY WELL - SOUNDS CHALLENGING TO ME! WE LOVE YOU AND KEEP THE UPDATES COMING! MOMS AND POPS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that rain shower head is a spoiler for sure! Makes me kind of even look forward to getting up in the morning....kind of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing your food experiences. Haha. Oh, and by the way, the photos you took are amazing! It almost looked like the top deck of a cruise ship. I can't wait to hear more! Keep it coming...and I hope all goes well tomorrow. :-D Miss you. ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I see that you are not missing all of us over here too much! Absolutely love the pictures and hearing about all the traditions over there; I would give anything to take a nap after a big meal! Keep the updates coming, but just FYI your return cannot get here fast enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like Valencia's been treating you well so far. The Turia looks absolutely unreal! Hope the rest of the trip pans out like you expect it to. :)

    ReplyDelete